There are several reasons why this practice is so common and vital for all companies and businesses. Then why is attendance management important? The main reason is that it helps the company owners to be aware of their employees. In other words, it helps them to obtain useful information to know how efficient they are and how to improve the workforce.
In this article, you will learn about some of the reasons why this is an important HR task for businesses. Besides, here you will also find out interesting information . . This way, you can make improvements not only in your HR department but in the efficiency of your workforce too.
- What are the benefits of Employee Attendance Tracking?
- What steps you can take to Encourage Employee Attendance?
What are the benefits of Employee Attendance Tracking?
From providing relevant information about your employees to making improvements in your company are some of those benefits that it offers. Nonetheless, you can find even more advantages that your company can have thanks to this important HR task. Let’s take a look at some other outstanding benefits that employee attendance tracking can provide:
- It allows managers to pinpoint potential attendance issues, which is actually one of the main functions of this process. Since tracking attendance helps employers to be aware of the employees’ work hours, it can also help for other purposes. For instance, they ensure that the employees do not abuse their work hours and ensure they follow their schedules.
- Another reason why attendance management is a benefit is that this system is also useful for payroll. Therefore, it ensures that employees get paid in full for all of their exact work hours. Besides, this system can also precisely calculate overtime pay and dock pay in case it is necessary. To summarize, it keeps accurate records of employees’ work hours to allow them to get paid on time and in full.
- Also, employee attendance tracking allows employers to embrace working remotely without needing direct supervision. Having a remote clocking feature can ensure that employees become productive while working from their homes. Similarly, employers can be sure that employees can clock in and be productive, just like if they were in their offices.
- If you are still wondering why is attendance management important, you need to know that it also boosts employee productivity. Something that you must consider is that employees need to know about their time-off approvals to keep them motivated. And with efficient attendance tracking, it is possible to review and approve time-off requests. Also, it makes it easier to schedule employees’ vacation time.
- There is another reason why this process is so important; it helps employers to analyze productivity. And since this is an effective method to collect this information, it also makes hiring processes more efficient and easier.
Read More About : 6 Ways to Make HR Tasks Automated
What steps you can take to Encourage Employee Attendance?
There are different ways in which you can improve employee attendance and avoid employee absenteeism in your company. This way, your business can become more productive and avoid extra costs or wasting time on hiring processes. Besides, it will help you answer the question ‘why is attendance so important’ when you start to see good changes.
Make Expectations Known to Employees
If employees are aware of the attendance expectations, they will also know the consequences of absenteeism. As the employer, you must let them know about the negative effects of being absent. For example, productivity and customer service decrease are some of those consequences that could affect both the company and employees.
Verify Records of Attendance
Another thing that an employer should do is analyzing all attendance records to identify the employee absence. Besides, it can also help them to identify any particular trends or frequent patterns of certain employees’ absence. For instance, it makes it easier to pinpoint those employees who often seem to be off on specific days. This way, employers can talk to them and ask about their reasons why they are off on certain days.
Make sure you have a clear policy in place
Employers should also have or create clear policies or procedures that their employees follow in case of being absent. For example, employees must contact a manager or any authority figure to let them know about their absence. In case of illness, employees must provide evidence, which could be a medical certificate.
Make your employees aware of the consequences of their actions
Employees must also know the consequences of not complying with the policies of the company. For example, a disciplinary action can be included as a consequence of not following the procedures correctly.
When employees return, follow up with them
Following up with your employees when their time-off is over is also a good practice. Doing this can help you to determine if they are well enough to resume their normal duties at the office. Besides, it is also useful to let them know that you care about their health and well-being.
Determine if there are any underlying reasons
And lastly, it is highly recommendable to identify any possible hidden causes of your employees’ absence. This is mostly in case an employee has poor attendance and the reason behind it is a major problem. Besides illness, there are other reasons why an employee takes sick leaves excessively. For example, family issues, drug/alcohol problems, work/life balance, issues with a supervisor/work colleague, and many others.