Foreign residents in the UAE, holding a Residence Visa, must undergo visa cancellation before stamping permanently. This crucial process is orchestrated by the sponsor, mirroring the initial visa application protocol.
In this article, we will explore an in-depth guide on UAE visa cancellation, unraveling essential procedures and nuances. This serves as a vital resource for individuals navigating the complexities of visa cancellation fees and the subsequent departure from the vibrant UAE.
A summary of the process: What you should know
First, we will give you an overview of the UAE visa cancellation process.
How to cancel residence visa?
To initiate visa cancellation before stamping, your sponsor, usually your employer, must follow specific procedures. This process applies to both employment and family visas.
For Employment Visa Cancellation
- Employer’s Responsibility. Your employer begins by applying to cancel your work permit (Labour Card) at the Ministry of Human Resources & Emiratisation.
- Electronic Submission. The employer electronically attaches necessary documents, including a signed confirmation from you that all dues have been received.
- Ministry Processing. The Ministry processes the application temporarily and forwards the details to the General Directorate of Residency and Foreigners Affairs (GDRFA).
- GDRFA Action. The GDRFA cancels your Residence Visa and informs the Ministry, leading to the permanent cancellation of your UAE work permit.
- Additional Requirement. Alongside the work permit cancellation application, your employer must submit a letter signed by you, confirming the receipt of all wages, settlements, and benefits.
For Job Change Without Leaving the Country
- Employer’s Role. If changing jobs without leaving the UAE, your current employer must cancel your work permit.
- No Objection Certificate (NOC). Obtain a No Objection Certificate (NOC) from your current employer, allowing the transfer of sponsorship to the new employer.
- Potential Employment Ban. If the current employer refuses, an employment ban may be imposed, ranging from six months to one year.
- Provide Cancellation Paper. Give the UAE visa cancellation before stamping paper to your new employer for processing a new work permit on your behalf.
For Family Visa Cancellation
- Sponsor’s Responsibility. As the sponsor of family members on a Family Visa, it is your responsibility to cancel their UAE Residence Visas.
- Prior to Your Cancellation. Ensure that you cancel your dependents’ visas before your own UAE visa cancellation before stamping.
Where to Cancel UAE Residence Visa
Your sponsor can cancel your UAE visa through:
- In-person. Visit a GDRFA typing center in your emirate. The center processes the application online. However, you can need to know “how to check UAE visa cancellation status online”.
- Use the websites of the Federal Authority for Identity and Citizenship or relevant GDRFA emirate. This is the key to know “how to check UAE visa cancellation status online”.
Residence Visa Cancellation Outside UAE (Longer Than Six Months):
So, you know all about the visa cancellation status. If abroad for over six months, your Residence Visa is automatically canceled. Upon return, reapply for an Entry Permit. However, leaving without formalities may lead to absconding reports and legal consequences upon re-entry.
Required Documents for UAE Visa Cancellation
When you need to know how to cancel visa in UAE, your sponsor must submit:
- Residence visa cancellation before stamping form signed by the sponsor.
- Your original passport and ID card.
- If the sponsor is also your employer, include Ministry of Human Resources and Emiratisation approval.
UAE Visa Cancellation fees
Cost varies but typically ranges from AED 100 – AED 200. Your sponsor covers the cancellation costs.
How many days for visa cancellation in UAE?
Usually, the process takes 1-2 working days. If canceling the Labour Card, add an extra working day. This is essential if you want to know “how to cancel visa in UAE”.
Things to Keep in Mind Before Cancelling UAE Visa:
Before leaving the UAE, ensure to:
- Close Bank Account. Close your bank account and settle all financial matters.
- Salary and Benefits. Receive all salaries, benefits, and settlements. Do not sign confirmation letters without proper receipt.
- Utility Bills. Pay all outstanding utility bills.
- Tenancy Contract. Cancel your tenancy contract.
- Vehicle Sale. If you own a car, consider selling it.
Understanding and adhering to these steps is vital to ensure a smooth and legal process of UAE visa cancellation before stamping. Always consult official sources for the latest information.
Employment Visa Cancellation: A Detailed Guide
If you have worked in the UAE under an Employment visa, canceling it involves two essential steps: Labor card cancellation and Resident visa cancellation before stamping. However, canceling the Labor card requires a separate application submitted to the Ministry of Labor. Another application, submitted to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, cancels the Employment visa. Your visa sponsor (employer) must handle this process, requiring various documents such as an Original ID card, a copy of your current passport, and more.
To navigate Employment visa cancellation before stamping smoothly, adhere to your company’s resignation procedure and maintain compliance with UAE laws.
The Procedure of Employment Visa Cancellation in UAE
- Application Submission: Print the application at a service center or online (Ministry’s e-forms program – GDRFA/smart channel).
- Authorization: The sponsor or authorized signatory must sign the application.
- Document Submission: Provide the relevant documents to initiate the process.
- Temporary Labor Card Cancellation: Cancel the labor card temporarily at the Ministry of Labor and forward the information electronically to GDRFA for the resident visa permit cancellation.
- Visit GDRFA: The sponsor or an authorized representative visits the General Directorate of Residency & Foreign Affairs.
- Permanent Labor Card Cancellation: GDRFA sends electronic confirmation to permanently cancel the labor card.
- Employment Visa Cancellation Fee: AED 100 – 200
Family Visa Cancellation: A Simple Process
Canceling a Family visa as a sponsor can be done through an authorized typing center or the immigration office.
Typing centers or Amer/Tasheel centers handle the cancelation form and submit it online, usually receiving approval within an hour. While the cancelation copy printout is sufficient, if you prefer a cancelation stamp in the passport, you can do so at the immigration branch office.
Required Documents for Family Visa Cancellation:
- Original Passport of Sponsored and Sponsor
- Original Emirates ID of the sponsor
- Filled Application (e-Vision form)
- Family visa cancellation before stamping Fee: AED 200 – 250
Tourist Visa Cancellation Simplified
Tourist visa holders often wonder about the need to cancel their unused, valid visas. The UAE immigration grants a 60-day validity, automatically rendering the visa invalid after this period, eliminating the need for cancellation and associated fees.
However, if you applied for a shorter stay than planned or your company or family is processing a resident entry permit, canceling the existing visa is mandatory. The sponsor can initiate this process when needed, bearing the applicable fee.
- Tourist Visa Cancellation Fee: AED 150-200
Navigating Life Post-Cancellation
After Employment or Family visa cancellation, those wishing to extend their stay in the UAE have several options. Resigning employees, those relocating, or sending family members home can opt for a new tourist or visit visa.
Upon visa cancellation before stamping, a 28-day grace period is granted. Subsequently, one can:
- Fly Out or Return Home: Purchase a three-way ticket or a two-way ticket with a return dummy ticket, providing flexibility for a new visa application.
- Visa Run: Visit Oman for a visa run, obtaining a 30 or 90-day tourist visa based on your nationality.
- Airport-to-Airport Visa Change: Opt for this method to exit the country, pay fines for overstaying, and return with a new tourist visa.
- Inside Country Visa: Stay in the UAE without exiting, as the visa provider manages paperwork for a new visa.
Consequences of Incomplete Visa Cancellation
Leaving the UAE without properly canceling an employment visa can have severe consequences. Staying outside the UAE for over six consecutive months automatically cancels the resident visa. Re-entry with the same visa becomes impossible after six months.
Failure to complete proper cancellation may result in being reported as absconding, leading to a UAE ban, visa application rejections, and potential airport arrests. Always prioritize proper visa cancellation before stamping and collect proof before leaving the UAE to prevent future complications with visa applications.
UAE Visa Cancellation after 6 Months: Unraveling the Process
So, how to check visa cancellation status in UAE? For various reasons, one might be unable to return to the UAE within six months, leading to the automatic invalidation of the resident visa. Despite its invalid status, the previous visa must be properly canceled for future travel. Those who left without informing the sponsor must engage with the company for an amicable solution.
Upon canceling the expired residence visa, a company or family member can apply for a new one. This involves obtaining an entry permit, undergoing a medical test, and completing Emirates ID and visa stamping. Individuals seeking a tourist/visit visa can apply through an agent or family sponsorship, later changing the visa status to a residence visa with the necessary procedures. For this reason, you know how to check visa cancellation status in UAE.
What are the visa cancellation charges?
Canceling a family visa when the sponsor is in the UAE is straightforward. Using a typing center, sponsors can submit the necessary documents without visiting the immigration department. Required documents include the sponsor’s original passport and Emirates ID, the applicant’s original passport, and a typed application form. Application fees amount to Dh266, with additional typing charges. While a cancellation stamp on the visa page is optional, sponsors can visit the nearest immigration branch for a fee-free stamp.
While outside the UAE, canceling an employment visa can be challenging, as it requires collaboration with the current visa sponsor. Genuine reasons can facilitate visa cancellation before stamping, but resolving issues or debts with the company becomes more challenging when abroad.
Freezone Visa Cancellation: The Dual Presence Requirement
Canceling a Freezone company contract demands both employer and employee presence at the Freezone headquarters. This ensures a mutual agreement on contract termination, with compliance to all rules. Initiating the cancellation process mandates carrying the original passport and Emirates ID card. This meticulous approach safeguards the interests of both parties involved.
UAE Visa Updates: Navigating Recent Changes and Extensions
Here are the visa updates:
September 29, 2023
- UAE Economic Minister Abdulla bin Touq Al Marri announced a forthcoming visa system allowing residents to travel visa-free to GCC countries. While citizens face no restrictions, foreign residents must acquire visas for cross-border travel, marking a significant development in regional mobility.
- For Dubai residents returning since June 22, 2020, the ICA Smart service facilitates registration, approval, and flight booking. Return approval, managed by the UAE General Directorate of Residency and Foreign Affairs in collaboration with airlines, mandates PCR tests at Dubai and Abu Dhabi airports. Those testing positive face a 14-day quarantine.
- UAE visa holders with expiration dates between March and December 2020 receive an automatic extension until December 31. Exit or employment acquisition is required for a new visa.
- Holders with visas expiring before March 1 get a three-month grace period from May 18 to August 18, 2020. No overstay fines apply during this period. Options include leaving the country or securing a new visa.
- Employees facing visa cancellation before stamping post-March 1 receive a 30-day grace period. Exiting the country, securing new employment, or applying for a UAE tourist visa are viable options. Tourist visas are issued within the UAE but not for those applying from abroad.
- Domestic workers and dependents on a Family visa benefit from an automatic renewal until December 31 for visas expiring after March 31.
May 13, 2020
- Individuals who left the country before UAE borders closed amid lockdown conditions can cancel their resident visa remotely. The former employer submits the employee’s passport and visa copy to the GDRFA of the Ministry of Interior.
May 10, 2020
- Expatriates overstaying due to border closures can register at the FAIC portal for a three-month grace period starting May 18, 2020. Fines related to ID cards, labor cards, and expired work permits are waived. The FAIC urges timely exit before legal actions ensue.
April 15, 2020
- In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, the UAE government extends the validity of resident visas, entry permits, and Emirates Identity cards expiring after March 1. The extension, applicable until December 31, 2020, facilitates various transactions for both locals and expat residents.
Essential Considerations Before UAE visa cancellation before stamping
- Before initiating the visa cancellation before stamping process and bidding farewell to the UAE, meticulous attention to several critical aspects is imperative. Any oversight may lead to the rejection of subsequent tourist or residence visa applications. Therefore, it is crucial to adhere to the following guidelines:
- Firstly, ensure the proper closure of your bank account. This entails settling all outstanding loans, credit cards, and auto loans. Obtain a bank clearance letter for each financial liability to confirm resolution.
- Simultaneously, it is paramount to receive all due salaries, benefits, and settlements from your employer. Exercise caution and refrain from signing any confirmation letters unless all entitlements are received.
- Another critical step is settling utility bills, including payments to Etisalat, Du, and home internet providers. Timely and thorough settlement of these financial obligations is integral to a smooth exit process.
- Additionally, canceling your tenancy contract and settling any outstanding auto loans or selling your car are vital steps in the visa cancellation before stamping process.
Overstaying Fines for Employment and Family Visa Cancellation
Post-cancellation, a grace period of 28 days is granted to either adjust your visa status for a new residence visa or depart the country. Notably, fines are not imposed during this grace period. However, exceeding the stipulated grace period incurs fines as follows:
- First day: AED 125
- Subsequent days: AED 25 per day
- After six months of overstaying: AED 50 per day
- After one year of overstaying: AED 100 per day
Importantly, opting for an inside-country visa without exiting does not attract the AED 125 fine on the first day. However, it is essential to settle fines before the status change, as per the immigration system records.
Frequently Asked Questions about UAE Visa Cancellation
Learn about the FAQs:
Where to Cancel a UAE Residence Visa?
Cancellation services are available at the nearest typing center, Amer service centers in Dubai, and Tasheel centers in Abu Dhabi.
How Do I Cancel My UAE Visa Without My Employer?
Cancellation of your UAE visa without employer involvement is not possible. Only your employer can initiate the cancellation process.
What Are the Consequences of Overstaying After visa cancellation before stamping?
Overstaying beyond the grace period can result in fines. For the first day, the fine is AED 125, with subsequent days incurring AED 25. After six months, the daily fine increases to AED 50 and further to AED 100 after a year.
Is It Necessary to Settle All Dues Before Leaving the UAE?
Yes, settling all financial obligations is crucial. Close your bank account, clear loans, credit cards, and auto loans. Ensure you have documentation such as bank clearance letters for liabilities.
How to check visa cancellation status?
The online system allows checking visa cancellation status. Utilize the designated portals for accurate and up-to-date information on your visa cancellation before stamping. Learn about how to check visa cancellation status
What If My UAE Visa Expires Between March and December 2020?
For visas expiring in this period, an automatic extension until December 31, 2020, is granted. Exit the country or secure new employment to obtain a new visa.
Can I Travel Back to UAE with an Expired Visa?
No, entry is not allowed with an expired visa. Ensure timely renewal or acquire a new visa before planning your return to the UAE.
Is Family Visa Cancellation Easier When the Sponsor is in UAE?
Indeed, family visa cancellation before stamping is simpler when the sponsor is present in the UAE. Utilize typing centers, submit necessary documents, and complete the process without visiting the immigration department.
What If My Employer Does Not Agree to Cancel My Visa?
In case of employer resistance, complications may arise. Consider discussing your situation with the labor department and explore options to resolve issues amicably.
In conclusion, you know all about the visa cancellation before stamping. Embark on a journey with ConnectHR, where comprehensive HR solutions meet the diverse needs of businesses in Dubai and beyond. Navigate the intricate realm of visa processes and ensure a smooth transition with ConnectHR. Contact us!